Shillong Fashion Week boon for northeastern designers

Shillong, Oct 21 (IANS) The first edition of Shillong Fashion Week (SFW) has turned out to be a boon for local talents who were looking for a chance to showcase their creative skills to the fashion enthusiasts across the globe.

Approving the two-day event that ended Saturday, Senti Nongrum, a designer from Meghalaya, told IANS: "SFW is a very good base for young designers like me who will take time to get their first break into major fashion weeks. SFW has given me an opportunity to showcase my designs to the world."

"There is a lot of talent in the northeast and we just need a platform," added the designer who used handloom from her region to create modern apparels, inspired by a traveller's suitcase.

From maxi dresses to formal wear to accessories, her collection had everything for those who love travelling.

Elizabeth Marbaniang, another designer, presented their traditional attire Khassi on the ramp with a little modern twist.

"My collection has got a very traditional theme as we tried to showcase the Khassi attire in a modern way by adding bling and sequin work on the 'poshak' (garment). Our culture is known for many things, so it's always good to promote it though SFW," said Marbaniang.

She thanked organisers of the event for giving preference to northeast designers over established names.

This was Marbaniang's first ever participation in a fashion show.

"Before this I was doing individual shows and I am thankful to SFW for bringing in this initiative here and giving all the local designers chance to prove themselves to the world," added the youngster who is also from Meghalaya.

Initiated under the leadership of state Chief Minister Mukul Sangma, SFW, kick-started here Friday at the North Eastern Hills University (NEHU) convention centre.

From established designers like Nachiket Barve, Raakesh Agravwal, Anand Bhushan to local talents like Bung Keisham, Senti Nongrum, Heritage Mizoram, Magic N and Sophia M Sangma, the fashion gala had the mix of both the world.

Rapborlang, a local designer, is overwhelmed with the experience.

"I think this is the biggest platform for me and now I can move aheadit's amazing," said the designer who presented a collection inspired by 1960s look of Audrey Hepburn.

In terms of business, there were hardly any buyer, but it didn't disappoint the established names as the felt it was time to explore "new territory".

"We haven't really done any stall and I haven't met any buyer as yet, so business is not something that I am thinking of. For me, this edition was basically to introduce the idea of fashion week in the northeast area. I think slowly other things will work when people will start looking around for designer stalls and retail possibilities," Urvashi Kaur, one of the participating designers, told IANS.

Anand Bhushan agreed and said: "I have not come here for business. Not many people know my label here, so for me, it was start off to introduce myself to the people here. SFW was more about exploring new territories."

--

Did you know that you can get stories like this on the Yahoo mail app?
Download it here.

Latest News

  • Oregon governor expands drought emergency zone, says water shortages imminent

    By Shelby Sebens PORTLAND, Ore. (Reuters) - Oregon Governor Kate Brown expanded the state's drought emergency to eight more counties on Friday amid a devastating West Coast drought and warned that water shortages could be imminent and a tough fire season may be ahead. The declaration comes after the governor of neighbouring Washington state, Jay Inslee, declared a statewide drought emergency there last week, saying drought conditions due to a lack of snowpack there were some of the worst on …

  • TLC pulls '19 Kids and Counting' after molestation reports
    TLC pulls '19 Kids and Counting' after molestation reports

    By Daina Beth Solomon LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - U.S. cable network TLC said on Friday it has pulled all episodes of "19 Kids and Counting," its top-rated television reality show featuring a large Christian family, after reports surfaced that the eldest son had molested underage girls as a teen. Josh Duggar, 27, the son, issued an apology Thursday, acknowledging "wrongdoing," but did not directly address allegations reported by In Touch magazine and other websites. "We are deeply saddened and …

  • U.S. director's 'Little Prince' gets French premiere at Cannes
    U.S. director's 'Little Prince' gets French premiere at Cannes

    By Michael Roddy CANNES, France (Reuters) - The creators of the animated film "The Little Prince", which had its world premiere at the Cannes festival on Friday, knew they had to take extra care in adapting one of the most cherished works of 20th-century French literature for the screen. To that end, American director Mark Osborne ("The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie") has created a storey within a storey in which a Little Girl, voiced by Mackenzie Foy (the 10-year old Murph in "Interstellar") …

  • Koons sculpture raises 12 million euros at Cannes AIDS auction
    Koons sculpture raises 12 million euros at Cannes AIDS auction

    A huge sculpture called "Colouring Book" by American artist Jeff Koons sold for 12 million euros ($13.2 million) at a star-studded charity auction near Cannes that raised more than 33 million euros for AIDS research. Sienna Miller, Jake Gyllenhaal, Diane Kruger, Michael Fassbender and Marion Cotillard were among the celebrities and millionaires at the annual amfAR "Cinema Against AIDS" event on Thursday night at the luxury Hotel de Cap-Eden-Roc in Antibes. At the gala, a highlight during the …

  • Michael Caine says he is unrecognisable in latest film role
    Michael Caine says he is unrecognisable in latest film role

    By Matthew Stock CANNES, France (Reuters) - Michael Caine, the British actor sometimes lampooned for playing versions of himself in his six-decade career, says he is unrecognisable in his latest role as a retired orchestra conductor. "The challenge that I put myself, and always have done, is 'How can I do a character who's as far away from me as possible?'," Caine told Reuters on Thursday after the Cannes premiere of "Youth" by Italian director Paolo Sorrentino. "In this, a classical music …

  • Michael Caine says he is unrecognizable in latest film role
    Michael Caine says he is unrecognizable in latest film role

    By Matthew Stock CANNES, France (Reuters) - Michael Caine, the British actor sometimes lampooned for playing versions of himself in his six-decade career, says he is unrecognizable in his latest role as a retired orchestra conductor. "The challenge that I put myself, and always have done, is 'How can I do a character who's as far away from me as possible?'," Caine told Reuters on Thursday after the Cannes premiere of "Youth" by Italian director Paolo Sorrentino. "In this, a classical music …

  • Female 'Assassin' tailored to actress, Cannes director says
    Female 'Assassin' tailored to actress, Cannes director says

    By Mike Davidson CANNES, France (Reuters) - Taiwanese director Hou Hsiao-Hsien said on Friday he had not started out wanting to make the lead character female in his film "Nie Yinniang" (The Assassin), but had tailored the role to suit his lead actress, Shu Qi. "I never thought of making a female assassin movie, but for me the choice of people is very important," Hou told Reuters in an interview. "When I look at the actor or actresses, I would think what sort of movie would suit them, and …

  • Polish court adjourns Polanski extradition case until mid-September
    Polish court adjourns Polanski extradition case until mid-September

    A Polish court on Friday adjourned until mid-September a hearing on whether to extradite filmmaker Roman Polanski to the United States over a 1977 child sex conviction. Polanski, who lives in France, is in Poland making a movie but did not appear in the Krakow court on Friday and was represented by lawyers. Judge Dariusz Mazur said Poland had requested further information from U.S. authorities by Aug. 8. …

Yahoo Cricket

Video watch

Loading...